Thread: Pa-31p Mojave
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2008, 03:25
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stationair8

Sage advice re Mojave training indeed.

But the type was a last ditch effort by Piper just before they went backwards out the door. It was a mongrel with bits from here and there cobbled together and hurried to the market without the benefit of years of development that produced the ultimately reliable C421.

The RFDS had a very brief flirtation with them which in my view had not much to do with whether it was suitable or not, I had a little bit to do with their change from the C421B to turbines. So I know the battles that were fought. The aircraft never got close to performing as advertised, and that wasa when they could get ti out of the hangar for long enough. Have a look at the charts for when the temps get to be more than a little warm.

Any rational and objective comparison shoews beyond any reasonable doubt should show THE IRON MAIDEN
if it has to be a piston the C421C is the answer. He may not know that this aircrfaft was the reason that Cessna in the first instance never bothered with a turboprop and went straight to Citations. The 421 went further higher and as fast as any of the then turboprops, so why build another, next step fron a 421 for owners was the C500 which started life as a C421 with turbines. And if you look closely there is a lot of 421 and T37 in the C500.

All pressurised aircraft of that vintage are now a relative vale of tears, some less so than others.

If you can find a late model low hour C421C or even a C414A Chancellor you will be miles better off for spares support and so on. GTSIO engines. ?? no more or less relaible than any other operated to the manual. Ran more than a few sets to TBO without a problem followed by routine overhauls and on to the next one.

Dont scoff at the C414A Chancellor, the next cab of the Cessna ranks was going to be this aircraft with the 402 engines at 325HP. Payload, range speed for East coast on one of these is line ball and economics cheaper than the 421.

There is a reason why it is harder to find a nice low hour 421 and easy to find the same in Mojave. Its worth the effort believe me.