PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fighter jets maximum sea level speed specifications question
Old 30th Apr 2008, 21:40
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harrier performance

Thanks to you all for the info; I realise drop tanks, especially the large ones currently trendy, are a different issue and enough to stop anything...

Seem to remember an FRS1 involuntarily 'lofting' a pair of ( actually smaller ) tanks into an asparagus bed !

Are the speeds quoted here Harrier 1 or 2 ? I know the AV-8B was originally around 100 knots slower, but had the impression progress has caught up with the gap to an extent at least - and surely the Seajet was a lot faster than 520 kts, transonic in a slight dive ?

Or am I getting as I suspect into the original question of this thread, and confusing max' speed with max' IAS ?!

As for the old stories about stores drag, there was the classic ( and probably true ) tale that a fully loaded Buccaneer carrying it's weapons internally was in fact faster than a Phantom with a similar load - now I wish they'd have thought of that with the F-22 & JSF - Oh, hang on...

Last edited by Double Zero; 30th Apr 2008 at 22:02.