PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenging First Officers!
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2008, 20:52
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The definitions I gave were from the Oxford English Dictionary, so I don't mind that you don't agree with them.

The high levels of trust, teamwork and respect are what we encounter nearly everyday that we go to work. They work across all the crew relationships and beyond. However the problem that is the subject of this thread is how to handle a situation when that relationship isn't working. The Captain must then decide what corrective action to either allow or to take. In a time critical situation that decision needs to be prompt and effective.

If he feels the best course of action is to resume a handling role, then that is what he does. The First officers feelings and ego can be addressed on the ground, because they are not the imperative.

Robert Scott and Earnest Shackleton may have been remarkable leaders, but unless I am mistaken neither of them ever had an uncooperative or unresponsive F/O to deal with while they were barrelling out of the sky towards Earth at one mile every 12 seconds. Although it is a mildly interesting side note, that I recently had Earnest's great grandsons as one of my crewmembers for a recent series of flights.

All of this talk of gradients and servants and leadership and egos and authority is great in a classroom or in a thread such as this, but the reality is, that just like understanding the sublime working intricacies of an engine, if it catches fire you better know what to do quickly. It is not a time to be debating the abstract qualities of human relationships.