PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GCSEs? A-levels?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2008, 19:18
Baatezu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GCSEs? A-levels?

Hi,

How important are secondary education results in getting sponsorship for an ATPL course? Will they get any more important or not so in the next couple of years?

Here's my situation. I'm a wannabe currently at the stage zero of becoming a pilot, a 20-years-old Polish national working in the UK, with no British education, but with six extended level maturas (Polish secondary school leaving certificates, and according to wiki, they are the equivalent of English A-levels) with scores 70% and higher, out of which only Geography (83%) and English (98%) present some potential when it comes to seducing sponsors. I also have Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (that's the highest one) with grade B. I have no GCSEs nor A-levels in Maths or Science/Physics, a mistake I'm planning to correct at Oxford and Cherwell Valley College this year (that is, when they deign to answer my calls).

The questions are: is it worth it? When I get those GCSEs, should I spend another year studying for A-levels? Should I get a GCSE in English to prove I know what Brits are on about or are foreigners' certificates enough? Does anyone know how Polish exam results fare against English qualifications?

Cheers,
Hellspawn