PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entebbe Overrun
Thread: Entebbe Overrun
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2008, 14:27
yetanotherdawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EBB runway water retention

Just to back up NM's comment, that runway has a nasty tendency to retain water. There is no "crowning" of the runway, no fall across the runway, no grooving and no drainage, at least there wasn't when I last visited. Water rapidly builds to a significant depth with the obvious promotion of aquaplaning. As always, everybody (not just posters here) has all sorts of explanations as to what should have been done after the event. I have no comment about the abilities or professionalism of KQ as I don't work for them or know enough about them, but they do not appear to have been enjoying the rub of the green lately. This incident, if such it was, might prompt the authority to do something about providing proper water-borne rescue facilities, bearing in mind that water is pretty close to both runway ends - perhaps not deep enough to cause too much of a problem to a wide-body (relatively speaking), but the smaller stuff could be a different story. Let's hope there never is a significant death toll from a future over-run - how many are needed to promote some improvement, I wonder?