PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2008, 13:24
Shaka Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Ray D'Avecta,

I did not say I'd happily rescind my T&C's with BA Mainline to join OS. However I'd be tempted to look into it when there are obvious benefits of living on the continent.
I'm taking a long term view on this and with the de-regulation of the markets, the future size & shape of any company is not known.

So when my airline of whom which I am employed by creates another company from our bottom line and uses our aircraft then I'd like to have a look in.
Equally any new joiners to that company I would like them to be able to progress their career in a bigger carrier. (not saying they have to, they CAN) It is what makes BA so great, you CAN do what you feel like at your position in time.

Now OS T&C's are less but being paid in Euro's, being able to tax deduct interest on a mortgage in Holland let's say, the cost of commuting taken away and living where you want to live, are some perks that are worth a serious amount of money to me.
I happily concede that the OS Costbase does not allow LHR T&C's, the BACC understands that. Just like it happens at LGW with a paycap. I don't have a job if we are not competitive. So for that reason, BA's arguement of running out of business is just plain crap.
They want to do as they please, THAT's the flexibility they want. And if you think that an employee is protected by that sort of mentality then people like 757coolpilot have got serious rose tinted spectacles on.

So from a cost perspective, I think we can match BA's aspirations.

As I can see any legit expansion for BA might well come out of OS, I can't forsee the future. There will be views 180deg adrift from what I'm saying and that's fine but some of their points will not and do not make sense. I am pretty sure a lot of guys would be DEAD PLEASED if OS would become a backdoor into BA (trust me, a fellow of mine who has an OS contract already alluded to that one)
From a pilots perspective to be able to move to different types, different bases etc within one company is a dream. And I think a lot of guys would appreciate that flex.