PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2008, 10:40
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 757coolpilot
1. Seniority List
I think a common seniority list would not fit, because (i) OS operates in a complete different sector
What, the EU to the US? Looks remarkably like BA's business model and similar to the previous BHX and MAN to JF services operated by BA.

(ii) it would block experienced F/O`s to move upward to command.
DEC's?

Finally: Are there really ANY BA pilots, that would like to join OS? This would mean: (i) move to Paris or any other european base (however: away from LHR and your families) (ii) get paid worse and (iii) fly more hours and longer shifts. Any volunteers here in the forum?
Who says BA pilots live at LHR? There are nearly 200 living in France alone. For me commuting to CDG, BRU, or FRA is easier than commuting to other parts of the UK. Most of us couldn't fly any more hours than we are already flying (900)

On the other hand: Compared to the market (without mainline like Air France), OS payment is above average. So for the "average" european pilot, this is a good chance to fly longhaul with a stable roster and an above average payment, without moving to Dubai.
I'll come back to that one.

A common seniority list simply would not fit.
A bold assertion. Your evidence is what? Certainly not anything you've said so far.

To be honest: 2 weeks ago I did not even know who BALPA is. Please note, that there is NO approach ban or any similar thing
Do you know who IFALPA are? DO you know what a recruitment ban is?

So please understand, that as an european pilot BALPA is very far away and - to my personal opinion is wrong in its facts
We are already seeing who is wrong in their facts.

BA sticks 100% to the contracts, that means BA-Pilots get paid exactly everything they agreed on.
Mwaaah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Hiliarious! BA don't even stick 100% to the contracts in mainline with strong union representation. You think they're going to stick to them in OS?

Plus: BA`s plans to expand are not affected at all. It is just a complete different story - beacuse the business modell requires pilots to be based on flexible terms all around europe.
Hang on, you just said you wanted a stable roster? How is stability reflected in OS's ability to shift your operating base to another country at short notice? In fact where did you get the idea that you would have any roster stability, apart from what the managers told you at your interview?

This would not be possible with a BA contract.
It's perfectly possible with a BA contract. Now you are just showing you have no idea how a BA contract is written.

Finally: It is the management decision of BA to set up such a new company, even if they use the financial ressources of BA. Employees get awarded by their contracts - the management decision are companies business. At least here in France we have this understanding of capitalism.
Perhaps that's why the French are on strike so much? Anyway you will be working for a British company, not a French one, so you need to familiaries yourself with the British understanding of capitalism.

OS is planned to be a small niche carrier in a very small market. It will simply not affect the BA Business.
30 aircraft is not niche.

Just have a look at the actuall situation: OS: 0 planes / BA 245 planes. OS will expand to a fleet of 9 (!) planes in a sperate market-segment.
Virgin Atlantic started with 0 planes.
Easyjet started with 0 planes.

I personally believe, that this will be a great success-because all colleagues I met so far are very polite, professional and have a broad experience in aviation.
Perhaps they have been. You haven't met all of them yet.

The recriminations in this forum are just not fair and adequate for professional aviators!
...who just happen to be breaking a recruitment ban and trying to undermine our careers. That won't be forgotten when they are tagged on to our seniority list.