PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool 3/2/07
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2008, 10:28
radicalrabit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Illegal

OK JUST A STUDENT HERE BUT
Illegal? nope not at all. (oh ex air traffic by the way) . The word illegal has no place in the context of what DFC is saying . I Understand the point he is making but it is not illegal as many of you have pointed out.
It happens every day all over the world. What was illegal (fom my understanding ) was for that particular flight based on; that day in that aircraft in those conditions as vmc/vfr didnt exist at the time and location of departure and the lack of instrument flying instruments or certification of the crew. (which ever of the front seat occupants was deemed PIC) They could not have legally departed and landed back at the same airport could they?
Thanks for this very protracted debate by the way, I am so glad people have such strong and diverse opinions, doesnt it make the threads far more interesting?

And just be be sure I have discussed this with the CAA this morning.
I wish to fly from Barton to Wick on the way the weather is completely naff and IMC for certain NORTH OF a given point.

So I will fly and get an update of weather on the way and then divert away from Wick and nip off to stay with my nephew in Aberdeen and go on to Wick later when the weather gets better.
"THERE IS NO INTENTION TO KNOWINGLY ENTER IMC CONDITIONS IN AN AIRCRAFT NOT EQUIPPED FOR IFR and at no point will I need to be illegal and fly instruments or enter IMC conditions"
This flight is completely legal even though from the outset the Destination may well remain IMC and there is certainly IMC "en route".
I have no intention of going IMC at any point.
Guess what ?
The man from the CAA said in no way could that plan be construed as illegal. Simply stay out of the IMC and it is perfectly legal, Do use Scottish Centre to get met info and make the decision to divert early enough !

Ah well may be we can just say its illegal or pretend it is a bit longer to keep the debate going?

Last edited by radicalrabit; 30th Apr 2008 at 10:53.