PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 30th Apr 2008, 10:14
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peuce

Thanks for that and I know you know its not an idea, it is cold hard reality.

Cold turkey yup.

Otherwise who is subsidising the industry, errm actually the consumer.

The US airline industry is finding out the hard way that the "miracle" of deregulation has had a very deep and painful downside, couple of weeks ago when I was there 4, yes FOUR airlines hit the wall and they weren't johnnys come lately. And all the rest are teetering on the brink, trying to stay alive against the LCCs that are mostly underwater also. It's insane. The consumer is now complaining because their "favourite airline" read cheapest and financialy unviable, is gone or going with their (not much of it either) money. Their "right" to subeconomic fares is being taken away. Scuse me.

Thats why the sane folks there are now looking very hard at going back to the old regulated regime. Cant get there fast enough I say if the general condition of the dear old American DC9/MD80 that conveyed me I distinctly remember travelling on when she was girl and I a yoof, well over 450 moons ago.

Cost more fine by me. I step off a slip of a girl 777 that has carried me half way around the world onto a clunker that was new when my eldest was born.

Whats the sense in that?