PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool 3/2/07
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2008, 09:39
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bookworm has already pointed this out to you.
No. I think that you will find Bookworm has a different view to you and I on that one.

Originally Posted by ANO
The commander of an aircraft shall take all reasonable steps to satisfy himself before
the aircraft takes off:
(a) that the flight can safely be made, taking into account the latest information
available as to the route and aerodrome to be used, the weather reports and
forecasts available and any alternative course of action which can be adopted in
case the flight cannot be completed as planned;

There is no requirement that the flight must be completed at a specific, nominated destination determined before the start of the flight.
Are we talking about pre-flight planning and the legal requirement not to depart unless the pre-flight planning shows that the planned VFR flight can be completed safely or are we talking about in-flight decisions to change the original plan?

At the departure point, you must have a suitable destination to land at if you do not then how do you know how much fuel you need to have?

Let me highlight a very important part of the abover ANO quote that you seem to be trying to use;

and any alternative course of action which can be adopted in
case the flight cannot be completed as planned
In case the flight can not be completed as planned - an in-flight decision.

If you plan to fly VFR on a route that is IMC then before you depart that the flight can not be completed as planned. Thus from the moment of departure you are already carrying out plan B.

The requirement to have a Plan B as an alternative to plan A assumes that plan A was a viable option in the first place.

There seems be be misunderstanding regarding the difference between;

a) Ensuring that a flight can be made safely; and

b) Ensuring that a flight is being made safely.

Regards,

DFC