PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford ATC
Thread: Oxford ATC
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2001, 16:35
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
As a visitor last year, I dropped in to pick up a passenger and to pay the landing fee. I then taxiied out to RW 20 following the flow, advised 'ready immediate departure' and was highly annoyed when some bizjet belonging to a F1 racing team was allowed to elbow its way past without warning (overtaking contrary to the normal Rules). I remonstrated with ATC and was told by a very officious woman to call them on the land line later if I wanted an answer. So I did. I also stated that I was on the point of writing a MOR. I was told that there was an 'unofficial' VFR/IFR 'line' which aircraft were supposed to join (it was CAVOK++ that day!). No-one had briefed me about it, there was nothing in the UK AIP nor even Pooley's about it. Crystal ball was a bit cloudy that day, I'm afraid. I eventually got through to someone who told me that the commercial influence being placed upon Kidlington ATC (with 'encouragement' from the operating company) was something he was greatly concened about - and he agreed that the actions of the bizjet were totally wrong. But never once did anyone offer an apology!!

If I ever have the misfortune to go there again, I'll make damn sure that there's no space available for anyone to shove their way past when I'm No 1 waiting for departure clearance! Incidentally, how come this scruffy little piece of mud and gravel still hasn't got an ILS? Upper Heyford has been closed for quite a while now.......

[ 27 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]