PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast track to CPL in Australia
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2008, 04:11
Magarnagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be very wary of buying into any sales pitch from the salesrep that runs the course. As mentioned before, the guy is a smoke and mirrors operator through and through. The guys and girls I know (all good people) who have done or are doing the course have unfortunately bought into the myth that actual command experience is not required for a career in aviation, which strikes me as opportunistic at best, and dangerous at worst. Not to mention paying $80+K for something they could just as easily get for $50-$60K (with more command time). After extensively seeing this guy in operation, I would not recommend the course.

Don't be fooled, the FT course is essentially only a mediocre software based theory course tacked on to flying training that takes place in flying schools that are not actually any part of the FT company, who have been hamstrung by FTs inability to see reasonable solutions to the problems with the course. Be wary of this middle man who takes his cut, and adds it to the total cost of the flight training, providing very little in return that couldn't be gotten through regular channels. Most of the FT students I've met are still using Bob Tait/ATC to pass their exams.

Personally, once I finish my CPL I am very keen to do the GA flying that some people have knocked. I think that the experience to make command decisions from the planning stage through to engine shut down will be invaluable, regardless of my career path. An analogy for the FT course might be like getting your driver's license overnight, then spending the next few years as a back seat driver in a truck, and then thinking you have the knowledge and experience to drive the truck yourself.

After saying that though, you get out what you put in. I've seen some well regarded pilots come out of sausage factories, and some quite ordinary pilots come out of reputable schools. Much of it comes down to attitude, and a readiness to watch, listen, learn and absorb. But taking "too good to be true" shortcuts can really narrow the odds of actually getting anything useful out of a course and a career.

I rarely post here, but I felt compelled to add my two cents to this thread. At the end of the day, all that glitters is not gold.