PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fighter jets maximum sea level speed specifications question
Old 29th Apr 2008, 19:38
DAL2728

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fighter jets maximum sea level speed specifications question

Hello guys,

I have a question about maximum speed specifications as quoted for jet aircraft such as the F-16, F-15, etc.

When, for example, a resource lists a sea level "maximum speed" is this speed maximum because that's as fast as the aircraft's thrust allows it to go (drag limited), or is it because there is a redline speed limit such as the VMO or the VNE and the pilot has to back off from the power?

I am having a discussion with a friend and I think we have very different opinions of concepts such as "ram effect" on jet engines. He's under the impression that ram effect on jet engines dramatically increases thrust at all altitudes and as such would allow an aircraft such as the F-15 to simply blow through its supposed maximum speed at sea level necessitating a retardation of the throttles, but I'm of the belief that net thrust actually falls off with higher speed at low altitude, but begins to increase at high altitude and higher mach numbers because of the ram recovery theory.

Anyway, I'm not trying to claim to an expert on jet engines, but I would like to know if I see some specs on a fighter jet that says its maximum speed is *whatever* at sea level, that this is because this is as fast as the jet can go because of thrust concerns, or if this is purely a structural limitation.

Thanks!