PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Low Emirates into BHX
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2008, 17:05
EK37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EK37

I work at the plant next door to CVTD and the whole office ran out, so low and loud was the noise. Approaches that day around that time were on NDBs as the ILS was off. I am not sure if this was due to routine maintenance or another issue. All preceeding aircraft and at least the next 4 landers over a 12 minute period made approaches that were significantly to the left of centreline (approx half a mile) when about 4 miles out. A FlyBe E145, CityJet RJ85 and TUA B757 were all well left on a converging track to the centreline and intercepted the centreline about 2 miles out with a bank to the left. Not all were as low as A6-EBH, but he returned about 10 mins after his go around, and landed normally. When I arrived at BHX I was told the EK had overshot due to being too close to the previous lander (A LH B737) which was still rolling out on landing as the EK B777 was over BHX. No explanation was given as to why he was so low. Having been watching aircraft land at BHX for 40 years, I would estimate power was applied at 300-400 feet with the aircraft pointing on an approx heading of 180 degrees (ie 30 degrees to the right of centreline track). He routed directly over my place of work instead of half a mile to the west. The next FlyBe E145 5 mins later was even further to the east (east of the A452) as he flew abeam me.
I have no explanation why such wayward approaches should result from NDBs.
I too thought it would have made the press.....

EK37