PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spicejet B737NG Contract--Some Non-salary details
Old 29th Apr 2008, 09:57
Nevrekar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a valid point, and one that I had failed to consider. At AirTran and other ALPA carriers as well we had a contract compliance person to deal with contract issues. Very often, we were simply asked to comply, and grieve it later. So in fairness to all, contract non-compliance in NOT just here in India.
Ask anyone in the States today about the erosion of their contract.
As Rotorhead pointed out, SPICEJET does a good job overall in this respect.
I do not believe that they deliberately deviate from the contract. Often it is an oversight and they need to be reminded. DAYS off issue is due to shortage of Captain's. The Indian Capts are a stable workforce in that they are present in the country for the duration of the year with the exception of leaves, sick days etc. The expat guys are on a constant rotation, and when you add in training etc, it can be quite challenging. Furthermore, many guys come here and only stay a few months, and so just as one guy gets signed off to fly, 1 guy leaves. The cause for leaving may not be SPICEJET related.
Sometimes the offer elsewhere is better, closer to home and family, commutable etc etc. Some come here just to get current again and bail out.
Some guys can't handle India as a country and environment. The net gain in Capts is thus zero! I have heard of guys who have left Spicejet to join other carriers for a few more dollars or a perceived better package. Not sure if at the end of the day they were happy with their decision. Spicejet folks by and large are a very friendly bunch.