PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL, Where is the recommended school ??
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2001, 22:00
BeauMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is going back some years, so I don't even know if they're still in operation...

Back in 1993 I got my FAA PPL at Cushing Flying School, Cushing Field in Illinois (about 40nm SW of Chicago, location 0C8). Flying was done on C150 / C152's, and costs were $29/hr wet, plus $15/hr for the instructor if it was dual time.

As I already had 30 hrs of RAF/ATC Flying Scholarship time under my belt, and a little bit of follow up time as well, I didn't have to do the full course, but I ended up flying 25 hrs out in the US. This, together with the flights out, very basic accommodation in a farmhouse on the airfield, all books, test fees, a medical and my spending money for three weeks, cost me about £2,500.

Almost unbelievably, they changed their name about a year later to the fantastically ridiculous "Wanke's Wings" (Honestly! I've still got the leaflet at home that they posted to me), but as I say, I don't know whether they're still in operation.

Obviously, the costs would have changed, and I didn't feel that the US standards (for both the aircraft and instruction) were as high as those over here in the UK, but in this life you get what you pay for, and for a 23 year old on a tight budget who just wanted to get his PPL finished, it was a perfect place to go.

No matter where you choose to go, like someone else has said, get the books and do the groundschool before you go; if possible get the medical done early as well, so that you can just concentrate on the flying. I spent four months reading up and going through the FAA self-test books, which helped me to breeze through the groundschool on day one.

By the way, having got the PPL, a mortgage and kids stopped me from flying, but hopefully next year I'll be in a position to do it all again. So, if anyone can suggest any other locations, I'd also be keen to hear...