PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft where you cant see out the front
Old 22nd Aug 2001, 20:27
Tiger_ Moth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done! just about all of you managed to completely not answer my question. You either talked about lindbergh or just miscellaneous topics!
I was aware of lindberghs having no view out the front when i wrote this but ommited it because i didnt want to make it too long a thread. I wish id just said it now and perhaps so many of you wouldnt have pointed it out. Are you sure he had it built like that so as to concentrate on the compass? I thought it was to allow for the engine/large amounts of fuel. Saying that thing about the compass seems like a consolation rather than a deliberate design: "well, yes the view is non existent but at least..."

I admitt the view in a Moth is not brilliant but with an extensive selection of cushions it can be made reasonable, even good if you are at the front (which im not). They should have just made the seat adjustable when they designed it. It amazes me sometimes when I see photos/people at airfields in Tiger Moths where they really can hardly see anything. Youd think theyd want to just get another cushion but some people seem to like to sit right down in the cockpit so they could only see what was in front in a descent. How do they land it??
I always like to sit high up. The view is one of the good things about flying.