PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 29th Apr 2008, 04:19
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creampuff mon vieux.

I have been a little busy of late and to read Torres et al comments on the currently revealed background to the so called Inquest fills me with horror and dread.

Horror at what appears to be unbelievably cynical manipulation of the coronial results of a tragedy that happened under the "consultants" watch. I reads like one of Grishams novels with the exception that the bad guys win.

Dread that my current activities once more will involve negotiation with a system that only appeared to be fixed or at least on the way to be and the ubiquitous "ex CASA" consutants who continue to hold an unsupportable sway in the industry.

This travesty, at least as it is described, could only have taken place with either active "help" or at the very least blind eyed from the very highest levels.

In the first instance I was not prepared to support a Royal Commission/Judicial Enquiry into the whole reeking cesspool in the interests of moving forward and away from that period in Australian aviation, CASA having already "got on with it" and some evidence that the culprits had been removed, retired, resigned or run away to hide in places unreachable.
In many ways the chronic pilot shortage appears to have been the ultimate remedy for the mess, in that dodgy bros aviation pty ltd are no longer able to survive in the new regime having to actually pay pilots for their services, nothing at all to do with the safety regime.

But it is Queensland I suppose.

Not any more.

Where's Erica Brokovich, or the inestimable Chris Masters when you need them.

It's a pity Marn didn't make it to the Transport Ministry and I haven't got set with the new guys yet simply because I haven't had the time. If there ever was an opportunity for Labor to set their stamp on the industry this would be at the top of the list. They could bag a minimum of 4 or 5 heads with a single shot. But I forget this was a Queensland coronial and it is a labor state that gave us Jo, Russ and Terry so perhaps I shouldn't hold my breath.

Now I really hesitate for invoke the name but if Dick wanted to do something useful for aviation this would be a good start. It would take some courage and principle and maybe setting adrift some cronies but hey it would be way worthwhile to restore some credibility in places it is sorely needed.

Or do we just whistle away on PPRuNE making each other feel better for the rhetoric we share.

I have recently spent a fascinating day in a museum commemorating the Westward Expansion in the US, God it was inspiring, and the vision of the characters involved was equally awesome. It made me wonder what has happened to our mutual society, its common venality and where have the characters who were capable of inspiring others gone.