PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy - looking for advice in respect of my Daughter
Old 28th Apr 2008, 23:33
wetbehindthewings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another view

Hi there. I am /was an intensive care paramedic and can shed some light hopefully. I have had numerous patients who have had similar episodes. They had done the full array of tests and could not determine the cause of the seizure activity. Interestingly some epilepsy medication can precipitate seizure activity!
The particular patient of mine was taken to a children's hospital and had an episode in front of medical staff. This presented like epilepsy, with some seizure activity but conscious. She went from being a placid girl to an emotionally distressed one all within the space of minutes. Before now, the activity was never witnessed by medical staff.
Concurrently this girl had numerous anxiety disorders, which turned out to be the cause. Her anxiety issues and suppressed 'trauma' led to them manifesting themselves physically. Treatment is anti-depressants/cognitive behavioural therapy and counselling to find the root cause of her issue/s. Requires lots of patience on your behalf because its hard work.
So it reality it could be behavioural rather than physiological in origin.

Hope this helps