PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headsets for Open Cockpit use
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2001, 21:11
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi, affirmative, I am that person who posted in Flyer forum. I was hoping to get some microlight flyers' opinions to weigh up against the military kit.

Thanks for that link, I've emailed them but so far had no response on availability or prices. In addition, I was after some "in the field" reviews on kit so I could weigh up alternatives. I appreciate what you are saying about the hard hats - and really I suppose it's pretty sensible to have some extra protection in any case, let alone the noise reduction.

The Luton Minor is in fact pictured on the lancashire aero club site www.lancsaeroclub.co.uk in the gallery section. It's a bit scruffy but sturdy. Parasol wing, single seat, smaller and lighter than the Major and there's a few more of them around. Designed in 1936.

Someone at Barton did have a Major a long time ago. It crashed killing two on board. I believe people at the time used to say it flew like a brick but they really should not have attempted aerobatics in it.

The Minor by comparison is pleasant to fly, handles nicely a bit like a Cub. Climbs at 50kts, cruises 65kts, VNE 90kts, stalls power off at 28kts. Won't win contests for speed but who cares? I'll hire an Archer if I want to get there faster.