PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 28th Apr 2008, 22:56
sonoma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"so leave if it's so bad"

a.k.a. censorship

Jet, you made an interesting post, voiced your opinion. Then you gave the above abrupt advice to someone else who voiced theirs! I don't mean to be dramatic about it but the right to express different opinions is considered inherently healthy in many societies - those societies whose passports are in big demand by the citizens of countries such as those in the Middle East.

The pilots at EK are here for various reasons. I have learned a lot from listening to the people I have worked with and realized in the process that others' circumstances are often a world away from mine. I mentioned in a previous post that 'safety' was the big issue for several from Central/S.America - big surprise to me because from my perspective, Dubai represents the opposite. So if I express a 'happy/unhappy' with Dubai opinion I like to try to put it into a context understandable to a bigger audience than I might previously have considered.

I have a colleague who feels comfortable with the driving experience here. I feel the opposite. When we bought our vehicle we gave primary consideration to crash tests, airbag curtains etc. Therefore an SUV is often a 'need' not a luxury. In my driving experience before Dubai I never had as much as a dent in my car or self. In my time in Dubai I've had two 'hits' from others - I got the green paper from the police (to those of you not familiar, the police apportion blame at the scene and give you a green paper if you are not at fault).

There was an FO from the UK who was one of the first to buy property in Dubai. He bought what most of us would consider a mansion and made a lovely home for himself. He told me that he financed it largely from the sale of his house (and other possessions) back in England. People like him made money on real estate in Dubai and good luck to them for being risk takers/good business people whatever you wish to call them. Some would argue that the real estate market here is flattening or peaked but there are many of our colleagues who did well in the window of opportunity. Real estate is not part of the EK package - I think it is a mistake to mix the incomes of the two.

If you get all the people who think it is bad at EK to leave then you will have a nice homogenous group. That sounds a little bit Orwellian.

I know I may have overdone it on your remark but too often it is used by those who don't wish to understand that others have a different experience and may not have any choice but to be here - their sentiments may help others make what is by any measure a huge decision.

BTW. If ever a remark was made to suit a place, "Money can't buy class" is so appropriate to Dubai.

Last edited by sonoma; 5th Mar 2014 at 21:09. Reason: clarity