PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guernsey questions.
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2001, 19:56
IFollowRoads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dude~

It seems you can pretty much route whichever way you like, but if you intend doing something strange it would probably be a good idea to call Jersey zone on the phone and ask them *before* departure. Also, don't forget to get a zone entry clearance *before* you blunder in. Don't forget the zone is Class A, so check out your minima VFR/SVFR/IFR depending on what ratings you have or haven't got. Also, be *very* wary of the weather, speaking with Jersey met. would bew worthwhile for their local knowledge, it fogs in very easily, frequently taking Dinard with it. I have had to divert to Rennes in the past because all of Jersey/Guernsey/Cherbourg & Dinard were below IR minima on arrival - it was CAVOK at Rennes!

How much equipment you want to wear/carry is going to be your choice (and that of your pax), but this time of year, if it was me, I would route somewhere shorter over water, or take a liferaft. (I've no experience with immersion suits) In any case, a lifejacket & warm clothing per person would be an absolute minimum - in the worst case (28nm from land) it is still going to be over an hour before a lifeboat get to you, assuming it can find you immediately.

The fuel is cheap (just under 50p/litre), tobacco cheaper than the UK, but not as cheap as France or Lux.

Have a great trip!