PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your life in their hands?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2008, 08:48
BEagle

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts
Wasn't there once a department called 'Navigation Flight Services' who used to look after such things? I guess that's gone as well now....

After the 137 MHz fiasco (MoD had somehow missed the worldwide change from 118-136 to 118-137 MHz for VHF comms......), I rang a chap at the Wyton IPT to ask how the FM-immunity compliant navigation and VHF comms systems were coming along for a certain 4-jet fleet.....

He'd never heard about the legislation due in less than 9 months time and it had only been on the cards for about 20 years. It seems that a 'not in my tour' predecessor had buried it in a file somewhere. So I faxed him a copy of an article in Pilot - this was the first written requirement he'd ever seen. Predictably he was less than pleased; I believe we had a few expensive diversions in the first few months of the mandatory compliance period from non FM-immune fitted aircraft unable to make IFR approaches at certain aerodromes.

Yet our Flying Club aircraft all had FM-immune VHF radios and nav receivers before the deadline .