PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGCB Barton
Thread: EGCB Barton
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2001, 15:16
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some information people may want to consider in making comments on this....in no particular order of priority....
-----------------
The western half of the field is designated Green Belt land. (but, cynical old me that I am, when has that ever stopped anyone...)

Back in 1996, various proposals were made to Mcr Council & Salford council for the development of the non-airfield chunks of the land, in order to promote business takeup that would be sympathetic to & could co-exist with airfield activities. Salford were enthusiastic about this, Manchester were apathetic (as they've always been).

The airfield lies to the south of the railway line (Mcr-Liverpool). To the north, Peel Holdings are aggressively pursuing a plan to build a racecourse and develop the Botany Bay woods area. Local residents are already starting to get up in arms about this.

Peel have a long track record of expansion and developing on open land around Mcr. Their clout with Salford council appears to be substantial.

The motorway and residential areas around Barton are already totally overloaded as a result of Peel's and other people's developments. The whole area is murder to drive through and around, and more developments will only make it worse.

The Control Tower is a Grade II listed building.

In 1996, the Barton site supported somewhere around 600 livelihoods, if you take into account the other businesses (not just the airfield). If the site was developed as warehouses or a rail terminal, I'd bet it wouldnt support as many.

The ground re-engineering required to support railfreight or indeed access roads would be substantial - it's very boggy and liable to subsidence. More disruption and misery for the locals & anyone travelling around the area.

The airfield was the UK's (not sure if it was the world's) first planned municipal airport (1928).

The airfield environment supports and encourages much local wildlife.

The airfield plays a significant role in local education and recreation - i.e. visitor centre, field trips, etc. Whilst the place has its' NIMBYs, there is also considerable support from the local populace for its continuance.