PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel Conversion Course
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2001, 13:09
tacpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information above.

I went flying in the taildragger I'm looking at buying a share in this week - I can totally relate to the 'simplicity' of the experience mentioned by Tricky Woo and FNG. Had a lovely, if short, flight around the local area, getting use to a aircraft that needs the sticky-up bit at the back to actually be used!

But the experience raised another question - about handswinging props. The engine, a C-90 had been run earlier in the evening, and so was warm. The vendor was swinging the prop, and another group member was in the cockpit. The engine was reluctant to start, and after about 5-6 swings, the vendor had to give up (puffed out!) and swap with the chap in the cockpit, who 4-5 swings later got the engine running. (The engine ran very sweetly thorugh the whole of the outing). But I expect to be doing most on my flying in this particular aircraft solo. I don't want to have to carry a nightclub bouncer around with me, to act as a starter motor. What do people think about small guys starting C-90's by hand? I'm 5'6" and weight 130lbs. Can I do it without knackering myself, and more importantly, can I do it safely, single-handedly?

I had envisaged using chocks, brakes, tiedowns, and a stout rope affixed between the tailwheel and an immovable object, to secure the aircraft. So far the owning group have not commented on this aspect, altough I am being sent the group "Rules" shortly - it may say no single-pilot starting allowed - so the problem will go away entirely.

I'm taking advice from other sources as well, and shall be having instruction on hand-swinging on this a/c which should allow me to judge whether it's viable, but as with all such situations you can never know too much, or not be able to benefit from somebody else's experience.

tacpot