View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2008, 05:13
SIERRA ECHO XRAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ONE GUY....here's a good one for ya!!

Advocate to raise KQ safety issue at meeting
Published on April 28, 2008, 12:00 am

By Brian Adero
A licensing committee is likely to discuss the safety of Kenya Airways (KQ) passengers.
This follows the publication in the media last week of a confidential report that raised safety concerns with the airline’s equipment.
Industry insiders want, among other things, the airlines flight and cabin safety – particularly in January, February and March — discussed at next month’s licensing meeting.
The Standard obtained a letter in which a city aviation lawyer proposes to raise the issue at the forthcoming licensing meeting.
The letter is addressed to the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) and is copied to the PS in the ministry of transport and the regional manager of IATA Africa offices.
Mr Peter Simani, an advocate of the High Court, has given notice to the KCAA of his intention to raise the matter of "safety and maintenance profile of Kenya Airways" at the May 12 meeting.
"As a member of the public who flies periodically with the airline, media reports have caused me great concern and anxiety, more so in view of the safety records of Kenya Airways," he said.
"We want KCAA to initiate the formation of an efficient system of reporting of a Cabin and Air Safety Report with a view to making it compulsory to report incidences to KCAA," said Simani.
"In the event that the report systems are in existence, I will seek to inquire why no action has been taken to improve the situation given that the incidents continue to recur," he added.
Simani’s letter follows an exclusive story carried by The Standard based on a confidential report by the airline to IATA Operational Safety Audit.
In the report, "Flight Safety Report January- March 2008", the airline reveals that in January, February and March, it was involved in 135 incidents that account for an average two per cent per 100 sectors per fleet.
Based on the report, Simani now wants the licensing committee to suspend the Air Service Licence of Kenya Airways pending investigation into the safety and maintenance programme or ground all aircraft that continue to pose maintenance and air safety threats.
"My concern is genuine and made with the knowledge that the most mundane of circumstances have time and time again led to fatal conclusions in flight safety," he noted.
The report shows that investigations traced failure to observe safety rules, unauthorised operations and inadequate maintenance programme as key contributing factors.

Well...... seems even the common mwananchi is getting an upset stomach over this mess......KQ needs to reconsider the safety issue....We can't afford another Doula

...my two cents...