PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel Conversion Course
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2001, 17:41
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Book recommendation:

"The Compleat (sic) Taildragger" by Harvey Plourde - published privately by his widow, so your local library won't be able to get hold of it, but it's available from TransAir and probably several other pilot shops.

Just finished off the last chapter this weekend. Haven't started tail-dragger training yet, so I don't know how useful it is. (Will start next month, though.) But I do know that it's everything I've ever read about flying tail-draggers all rolled into one, with lots of extra info that I've never read anywhere else.

If you're wondering about the title, the spelling is apparently a reference to an extremely old book on angling by some bloke I've never heard of, but FNG can fill you in with the details.

And if anyone has the book and flies tail-draggers, I'd be interested to hear what you think about control positioning while taxying - the position of the controls Plourde suggests for use when turning corners (to get the wind to help you around the corner) is different to everything else I've read (which concentrates on stopping the aeroplane from tipping over). Have you tried both methods? And if so, which do you use? Or is it a combination?

FFF
---------