PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy - looking for advice in respect of my Daughter
Old 28th Apr 2008, 00:19
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epilepsy - looking for advice in respect of my Daughter

I would be very grateful if a professional in this subject could give me some advice.

My 27 year old Daughter used to suffer 'absences' on a regular basis - attempts were made to manage these through medication but it seems no treatment has been of benefit to my Daughter.

In the last 18 months my Daughter has started to suffer major 'fits', one of which resulted in falling and breaking her collar bone in 4 places with a subsequent unpleasant operation and recovery.

She has held down various jobs and is determined to try and lead as normal a life as is possible. Presently she has managed to secure a fairly good job after many years where employers get somewhat 'tired' of an employee has serious medical problems - believe me a lot of those employers have not behaved in a manner that is morally or legally correct.

Today things took a turn for the worse when she was waiting at a train station to visit us. She felt a fit coming on and so moved towards the seating area at Woking station - the next thing she remembered was being on the rails! - she had fallen on to the track. Fortunately she did not get near the 'live rail' and two men got down and pulled her to safety.

I picked her up and brought her home to rest with her lumps and bruises. I had to leave for work and at the airport my Wife said my Daughter had suffered another major fit but that the paramedics were dealing with it.

As parents we are at our wits end - the medical profession seem to be be able to do nothing that will control this problem. I am now worried that a serious accident will happen. I have suggested many times that my Daughter comes back to live with us but she is determined to try and lead an independent life (you would understand that if you knew me!).

Is there a professional out there who may be able to offer advice?

I should mention, by the way, that my Daughter did have problems that could be percieved as mental health issues (i.e. self harm). Whilst these issues seem to have receded it is possible they may still be there although I believe thay have no bearing on the latest turn of events.

I'm looking for advice. Do you let your Daughter continue to catch trains to and from cental London Daily - or do you persuade her to give up the only decent job she has had. Bearing in mind she is an adult and can do exactly as she pleases - which today apparently was not going to hospital as the paramedics advised.

As a parent I am stumped, and very worried for my Daughters future.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Kind regards
Exeng