PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2008, 00:14
soem dood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greendot, in line with your point that increased susceptibility can come from sources such as degradation of connector internal contact integrity, here is an interesting prior airworthiness directive on the 777:

RIN 2120-AA64 - prelim
http://www.thefederalregister.com/d....12-08-03-30338

RIN 2120-AA64 - final
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...3?OpenDocument

...applicable to all Boeing Model 777 series airplanes. This action requires repetitive corrosion/resistance inspections to measure the resistance of each wire bundle of the flight control system; and repair of the receptacle bond, repair of the bundle connector backshells, or replacement of the wire bundles with new components, if necessary. This amendment is prompted by reports of corroded connectors and numerous other discrepancies of the wire bundles, such as loose backshells and loose shield retention bands, due to the presence of moisture inside the wire bundles. The actions specified in this AD are intended to detect and correct such corrosion, which could reduce system protection against lightning strikes or high intensity radiated field (HIRF) events...
Thanks for the back story and discussion. I am nothing more than an armchair observer when it comes to air accident investigation, but I have much interest, as I am in a not-too distant line. For those that want an instant perfect answer, and want it now, I will just offer that the NTSB and/or AAIB do good work, and the truth will out, but good original work takes time. One of the most difficult cases ever was on the Boeing "soda can" rudder activation valve that brought down US Air flt 427, and it took a lot of investigation, and frankly, some related incidents (Eastwind 517, United 585) before it was figured out, but they got there. For those who have their interest whetted for following air investigations, but can't wait for the AAIB report, let me suggest any of the following as good reading, from my own bookshelf:

Normal Accidents, Perrow
The Limits of Safety, Sagan
Inviting Disaster, Chiles
Inside the Sky, Langewiesche
Mystery of Flight 427, Adair
Aircraft Investigation Analysis: Final Reports, Walters
Aircraft Safety, Krause
The Logic of Failure, Dörner
Mayday!, Wadley
Human Error, Reason
Columbia Accident Investigation Board, NASA/GPO
Safety in the Skies, Sarsfield

Fiction:
Airframe, Crichton

Last edited by soem dood; 28th Apr 2008 at 00:45.