PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 185 $480 million seat-rail lawsuit!
Old 18th Aug 2001, 06:47
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The seat rail problem has been a around for a long time, although the AD was issued in 1987, the original Service Information letter was issued in 1983! The rails that are sold today are just as prone to cracking as the originals. They require regular replacement in working aircraft, where the seats are continually being moved. The cracks are ugly and we never ever run them to the limits that Cessna allows! I thought I would be smart and install the rails from the new model aircraft, but these are so beefy and big, that they won't work with the puny old seats. (If any manufacturer put most light aircraft seats in a car they would probably get sued as well)!

The change that is required to resolve this permanently is a material change away from this crappy 20xx series materials utilized by Cessna.

It is still hard to believe that this case eventually runs to Cessna (or their insurance company). As there was already an AD on the part, it would surely fall to the individual signing the last AD compliance or annual inspection. I would be very interested in any additional information anyone has on this case.

Out of interest, I tried to find the accident information on the NTSB website. This is the only related accident I found;

NTSB Identification: ATL89FA197 . The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 41199.

Accident occurred Monday, August 14, 1989 at MYRTLE GROVE, FL
Aircraft:CESSNA A185E, registration: N95KW
Injuries: 3 Serious.
A NORMAL APPROACH WAS MADE TO RUNWAY 36. THE FLAPS WERE FULLY EXTENDED & FULL NOSE UP TRIM WAS APPLIED PER THE OWNER'S HANDBOOK. THE WIND WAS FROM THE EAST AT 3-8 KTS. THICK SCRUB TREES BORDERED THE EAST SIDE OF THE RUNWAY. A THREE POINT LANDING WAS PLANNED & TOUCHDOWN OCCURRED ON THE TAIL & RIGHT MAIN WHEEL. THE RIGHT WING CAME UP AS THE LEFT WHEEL TOUCHED & THE PILOT INITIATED A BALKED LANDING. HE & HIS WIFE, ALSO A PRIVATE PILOT, SAID THE NOSE PITCHED UP ABRUPTLY, & A DEPARTURE STALL TO THE RIGHT WAS ENCOUNTERED. BOTH BELIEVED THAT THE PILOT'S SEAT SLID REARWARD. POST IMPACT FIRE DESTROYED THE SEAT RAILS. EXAM OF THE WRECKAGE SHOWED THAT THE FRONT SEATS APPEARED TO BE IN THE SAME RELATIVE POSITION.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows.

THE PILOT IN COMMAND INADVERTENTLY STALLED THE AIRCRAFT DURING A BALKED LANDING.

I guess this makes it even stranger, if the parts were destroyed in the ensuing fire!!!

I am a strong believer in the overall goal of the US legal system and the protection it provides. I do however question something like this, if, for no other reason, that I do not know all the details of this case.

Hopefully the occupants of the aircraft were not too dramatically injured in this accident (may be the reason this award is so high), but if they are capable, they are probably considering what to buy to replace the 185.

Maybe a Citation X and an Amphib Caravan (covers every eventuality). Mind you, might want to avoid Cessna products now, so a G5 and a Sikorsky S76 might be a better choice!