PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concerns converting FAA to JAA
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2001, 17:49
preiffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Concerns converting FAA to JAA

Hey guys,

I recently worked in California for about 6 months with the company I'm with at the moment, and while I was out there, I decided to give flying a go.

Well, I got bitten (big time), and instantly signed up for (and got) my FAA PPL. It's taken me a while (I'm 21 now), but I've finally decided that I DO actually want to be a pilot (a career that never really crossed my mind beforehand - I've been working in IT for 4 years!). So I've come back to the UK to start a ATPL distance learning course, and when I have the theory out of the way, go on an intensive practical course.

My only problem at the moment is that I'm a little concerned about converting my license - I've asked around, and loads of local flight schools (at Bournemouth) can do it, but I'm worried that it's a completely different world of flying here in the UK!

I got a VFR chart a few weeks ago, and was almost lost on it! (nothing like the US sectionals I'm used to!). I can't fly at night on a license over here, or above the clouds, SVFR is completely different - so many differences!

Has anyone else had any experience of transitioning to flying over here? - If so, I'd love to hear from you! How long does it take? - I already have 85 hours TT. (mostly flown over San Francisco - something I wouldn't miss for the world!)

Thanks!