PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job opportunities in Australia/New Zealand
Old 27th Apr 2008, 20:30
Pappy Bovinton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Sheep

Flyboy nz,

I left NZ before I was 20, served in major conflicts both on the ground as Infantry and Special Forces, then as aircrew and Special Forces again. I flew in Africa, Middle East, SE Asia, & Europe. Returned to NZ as a 4500hr Capt on Jets and was told "What cowboy airline do YOU fly for? We don't even consider pilots for SECOND OFFICER interviews until they have AT LEAST 5000hrs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Needless to say I didn't get the job. Looking back I wouldn't be seen dead in a PALE YUCKY GREEN plastic bag. So I returned to the northern hemisphere and continued flying. Now, 10,000hrs later and vastly more experienced, I am still a BLACK SHEEP - and lovin it!.

The pay is better, work conditions better, AND the JAA licence is a door opener EVERY where - except NZ where it is seen with contempt (because YOU have one and THEY DON'T).

The trouble with NZ aviation is that unless you are one of the GODFATHERS sons or clones, you will NEVER be good enough to fly in New Zealand - "NZ is a very demanding place to fly in - I suggest you get 1000hrs multi time in a piston and then come back and see us. We might just consider you then". Was told that when I already had 2000hrs multi in East & Central Africa. Now that is 'a demanding place to fly in'.