PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C4 Ejector seat program - and Russian aeroplanes
Old 13th Oct 2001, 23:01
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink C4 Ejector seat program - and Russian aeroplanes

There was an excellent program on C4 the other night about the ejector seat fitted to the Mig29. Anyone see it? The program used the mid-air at Fairford, and the low speed, high alpha engine failure at Paris Air Show as examples where this seat saved the pilots in situations that seemed very marginal for a successful bang out. The Paris accident in particular was a miraculous escape; the FJ (Mig 29 again?) was performing a very slow, high power, high alpha flyby and got a birdstrike in one engine. The aeroplane rolled right, beyond the vertical, and dived into the (very close!) ground. The pilot banged out during this roll at a height of (IIRC) about 300 feet – so he went out sideways and pointing slightly earthwards – but survived with a few bruises.

The program gave a brief description of the seat, which uses clockwork timers and knife-blade belt cutters, and is so much better than US seats that the Americans are seriously interested in using it.

I was left with a couple of questions:

1) Is the seat better than Martin Baker’s best?

2) Given its performance at Paris, can it ‘steer’ the rocket thrust to attain a vertical climb even if ejection happens horizontally?

John Farley gave an excellent explanation of fast jet air show formation flying, why the aeroplanes collided, and commented on how advanced are the aerodynamics of the Mig 29 to enable it perform ‘cobra’ manoeuvres at low altitude without ‘departing’ controlled flight – way in advance of any western aeroplane.

And having flown a Yak 52 for a couple of years, I have come to appreciate just how good Russian technology is. I suppose we suffered in the west from decades of propaganda telling us that everything produced in Russia was agricultural, crude, poor quality, and technically inferior to western products. And we saw the cars! – so it seemed it was true! It definitely isn’t true in applications associated with the military, as this seat and JF’s comments on the Mig29 indicate. Russian technology is just different – and very, very good. The Yak is so well thought out. Thoroughly practical, superbly engineered, and, for the money, the best flying experience bar none.

A super program, full of good aviation insight and no ‘gee my wow’ silly false drama. Well done C4 and John Farley.

And any of you who enjoy spirited flying – try some Yakking. But you may not want to go back to the Chipmunk, Stampe, Cap 10 or whatever afterwards ;~)

SSD

[ 13 October 2001: Message edited by: Shaggy Sheep Driver ]