PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anti Airfield letter in todays Daily Mail
Old 27th Apr 2008, 17:55
Mariner9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ms Lacey,

I am pleased you have posted on here - it gives us a chance to discuss each others point of view. Please ignore some of the more agressive responses!

Now, where exactly is your house in relation to the runways at Redlands?

Someone at 100' over your house should only have been taking off or landing, if they weren't then they were breaking the law. If you are on the approach or climb out path then I'm afraid they were complying with the law, and this is unlikely to be changed for safety reasons (the safety of both the aircraft and those on the ground). As a Pilot and of course a householder, I cannot see any sensible change of aviation practise or law, so its not clear to me what further legislation could achieve.

The airfield does have noise abatement routings, and though you may not believe this aviators do try their hardest to minimise any disturbances. An AN2 is a fairly noisy aircraft - I'd be very surprised if there's any aircraft noisier than that operating at Redlands

As for your point about "aircraft tax" - though it is not called a tax aircraft do have to have a certificate of airworthiness (or permit to fly) - both of these cost considerably more than car tax.

I'd be amazed if there are people flying without licences in Wiltshire or elsewhere. Despite what you think, flying is tightly regulated - we all have to get our licenses revalidated every 2 years. The flying community is fairly close knit (as you've probably gathered!) - we would not tolerate a fellow pilot breaking the rules.

Finally, I'd be happy to take you for a short flight to/from Redlands so you can experience first hand where your house lands in relation to the approach/climb out paths and perhaps gain some perception of the pilots perspective.