PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline v Military
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2008, 12:07
BUSH PILOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Mcgrath50, I was in a very similar position to you at the end of last year.

The options I considered were almost identical to yours and in pretty much the same order of preference, so I'll tell you what and why I did what I did...

In regard to QF v RAAF, I feel very similarly to Turkish777. Fighter pilot would be awesome, but I think I'd struggle with the moral side. I also considered attempting to steer towards c-17 or c-130 if possible, but in the end I knew the airlines was where I wanted to end up and I wasn't 110% committed to the RAAF so was most likely to be weeded out anyway! also 11.5 years roso is a fair while!
Therefore QF mainline cadetship was my number one goal, with training at the local aerodrome number 2 and uni number 3.

My reasons, QF cadetship obviously quickest and dare I say 'easiest' way into qantas IF you can get it! Unfortunately I didn't make it past the psych test, I'm obviously more of a mental case than I originally suspected...
(Also, I decided to go for the CPL intake, which kind of ruled me out of doing aviation degree, although I had kind of already decided that was not the way to go as If I do decide to get a degree it will most likely not be in aviation, hopefully something more usefull)

Anyway, where I have decided to do my training (local aerodrome) is much MUCH cheaper than the organisations the uni's use, not to mention I can do it at my pace, which is also significantly quicker than I would have been able to do through uni(aprox 4 months to go from GFPT with 30 hours, to CPL)

Also, look vary carefully at REX, I can not comment on personal experience but from what I've read/hear, I would tread very carefully around those waters!

Anywho, enough of my rambling, hope some of it has helped, in the end I guess you just need to know what you really want out of your flying...and also who's going to be paying for it!
Remember, there's more than one way to skin a cat, as I'm rapidly discovering!
Best of luck with the choices, Bush Pilot