PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Back up plans???
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2008, 09:28
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Bush Pilot,

I had a potentially career ending accident back in '05, which took me out of the workforce for almost 2 years. A couple of things are important if you envisage losing your medical.

1. It's imperative you seek a second opinion from another medical practitioner. This is assuming you have had a trauma or something similarly sudden, as opposed to a steadily deteriorating health. The first bloke I saw told me "Well mate, you've flown your last plane. Can you do anything besides that?" Err....NO.

I found a younger, more progressive surgeon who had a totally positive attitude and gave me far better odds of regaining the Class 1. He, combined with a highly motivated Physio were solely responsible for my beating the odds.

2. Always have a backup, enhanced or diverse skillset, i.e. a training background. I took the opportunity to become involved in simulators in both this and my previous job, as it's a particular interest of mine.

3. Try to maintain a positive relationship with your employer. My current employer was VERY understanding (and patient) with my predicament. As soon as I was mobile, I was offered admin work in the office (adding to that skillset) which I took on. I also had a good relationship with the parent company through my involvement in the simulators (above) which resulted in "if you can't get back to flying, we can find something for you over here". A great gesture which I fortunately never needed to fall back on.

4. NEVER **** in your nest. Maintain a good relationship with former work colleagues. This resulted in ongoing offers of other sim jobs - similar to point 3.

I was lucky to have had a life previous to flying professionally. I kept those contacts open as well, just in case I had to leave the industry altogether.

5. Get Loss of Licence Insurance. I used the AFAP's MBF for the whole time I was off. That was the difference between keeping one's head above water, or drowning. I can't speak highly enough of the fine people of the MBF, and how easy they made it for me to claim.

If nothing else it will buy you time.

I hope this helps.