PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Templehof Referendum - Last Chance for Historic Airport
Old 27th Apr 2008, 05:51
FireLight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Templehof Referendum - Last Chance for Historic Airport

BBC Article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7367209.stm

"Tempelhof is the pearl of the German capital," says Klaus Eisermann.

He has been working at Tempelhof airport for the last 44 years, and he knows every nook and cranny.
As he drives me around the vast airfield, the monolithic terminal building stretches out in front of us.
"I'm really sad that they're going to shut down Tempelhof," says Mr Eisermann.

"It's such an easy airport to use and you can reach the city centre in 20 minutes - it's so simple and it's a beautiful historic building."
"Tempelhof survived World War II, it kept Berliners fed during the Soviet blockade of the city, but the authorities want to get rid of it. I can't understand it. It's a political decision which doesn't make any sense," he says.

On Sunday, Berliners will be able to give their verdict on the planned closure of Tempelhof airport. The referendum has become such a divisive issue that a big turnout is expected.

The city authorities are adamant that Tempelhof has to close, to make way for a new international airport, Berlin Brandenburg International (BBI), on the outskirts of the city. It is due to open in 2011.
Commercially, it seems all but on it's last gasp in any event. The end of the line looms near ...

Will Berliners save it now or will it fade into history? Should it be saved? Anyone with any memories of flying into Tempelhof?

Definitely a loss from a historical perspective. An important place from the beginning of the Cold War and a key part of the Berlin Airlift which set the tone for world relationships for 50 years.

Terry

Last edited by FireLight; 27th Apr 2008 at 15:36. Reason: spelling for Tempelhof