PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Happy at Emirates?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2008, 05:38
Alchemy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a current an RJ captain in the states making about 70,000 USD per year, do you gentlemen think I would be misguided to consider employment at Emirates? I am generally happy with my job here (based in my hometown) but am gravely concerned about the future.

I am nervous because my regional airline is being threatened by its mainline partner with being "phased out" in favor of cheaper operators. Mergers and buyouts are on the horizon, and the economic of RJ's are looking less and less appealing with the current cost of fuel. My company has already put out a bid for voluntary leaves of abscences, no aircraft orders on horizon, and things are generally looking very bleak.

There are very few job opportunites for pilots in the states right now, and if my airline does close its doors, I will likely be hard pressed to find work. I have about 3700 total flight hours and 950 jet command time. Would EK even consider me with such little experience? I have filled out the online application and am on the verge of hitting 'submit'.

I am 25, single, and even if it turns out after 5 years or so that EK is not for me at the least the widebody experience will look good on the resume. The compensation as an EK FO would be about the same as my RJ Captain pay in the states maybe a slight increase when you consider the lack of taxes in dubai. Thoughts?