PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uk Pilot with Canadian ambitions...
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2008, 22:44
skysoarer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Uk Pilot with Canadian ambitions...

Hi there;

I was hoping some of you would be able to help with some advice. I'm a Uk atpl holder (still frozen though) currently flying the Embraer 145 for a regional airline based in England, with 600hrs on type and 800hrs total ... although the other 200hrs was training and private flying prop aircraft. I also have 200hrs of gliding, but generally airliners don't glide so that isn't very applicable.

After a number of trips to Canada, and meeting a number of friends and associates out there, I've decided on a long-term goal of working out there. Are you or do you know any English pilots who have moved out there previously, and what they had to do to successfully gain a job with a Canadian operator? Overall my favorite part of Canada has to be Vancouver Island, although the only operators I found are using floatplanes and I clearly have no time flying those. I'd jump at the chance though looks good fun! Of course when the weather isn't nice...

From what I've seen, clearly there is the points system for skilled workers to move to Canada. I went through the series of questions to see your points, and without a job offer I'm 1 point short ... and with a job offer I'm 9 points in. Makes sense I suppose! Looking at the licensing requirements, which seem clear as Mud... I'd have to do the medical, theory exams and a flight test in a twin.

Basically, has anyone done or experienced anything like this and in a position to offer some advice? What did a Canadian operator require them to have to do prior to application, or are they generally helpful with the paperwork side of things?

Many thanks;

Graeme