PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Engine Feed Pumps
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2008, 21:48
jettison valve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me add something to my previous post:
Concerning the discussed hard time for the Mk100 pump, FRHs and Airbus position was that the witnessed cavitation would "stabilize" over time. I had serious concerns about this - but apparently, they were right.
They did some minor changes to the design which helped for the "second batch", and the older pumps indeed never got so bad that they needed early replacement.

airbus eng,

What you need to take into consideration apart from the component properties, are the effects on aircraft level.
It is my understanding that we donīt care too much about the feed pumps because we have multiple redundancies, and most of the pump failures would become immediately evident (loss of fuel pressure).
For exactly the same pump, fitted in a different environment and without redundancy - for instance as a single pump on a Cessna supposed to fly from Hawaii to New Zealand - I would set up a different maintenance programme!
Your project sounds interesting - do you need any more help? Itīs been some time since I left university, but I am still interested in this "scientific stuff"...

Cheers,
J.V.

P.S.: Youīve run into
http://www.eatonaerospaceltd.com/fue...mpA330_340.pdf
for more (basic) information about your "patient", havnīt you??

Last edited by jettison valve; 26th Apr 2008 at 21:52. Reason: more info