PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special VFR question
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2001, 01:36
Warped Factor

FBW,

PPS The one liner from Pooley's is the worst I have seen.....it implies that you need a SVFR to fly within a control zone.
Might I suggest you re read it, it seems clear enough to me. It is basically saying that if you would otherwise have to comply with the Instrument Flight Rules inside the Control Zone, whether that's because it is night, airspace classification or poor (below your VFR/VMC minima) weather, you can request SVFR instead.

The important point being SVFR only really comes into the equation when, for whatever reason, your only other option would be IFR.

PS Care to name the 2 airfields, or even 1 of them as I can't think of many where you would need a SVFR to get in/out.
Bear in mind what has been said above. SVFR is only available (well, that's not strictly true, you could request a SVFR clearance out of/into a Class D Zone in CAVOK weather, but you'd be daft to do so ) in conditions that would otherwise require compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules.

So, one airfield has a rather large Class A Control Zone around it and twin parallel runways.

The other one is a few miles to the south of the first one and has a nice Class D Zone around it. So SVFR clearances might be offered/issued at night or in poor weather to appropriate (ie unable to comply with the Instrument Flight Rules) traffic.

Subject to the weather minima mentioned previously and any pilot licence/rating weather restrictions.

WF.

Edited a couple of times to try and clarify it a bit more. Failing miserably I think

[ 10 August 2001: Message edited by: Warped Factor ]

[ 10 August 2001: Message edited by: Warped Factor ]