PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA085 21st April, Engine Failure?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2008, 12:25
Austrian Simon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tng242
Sorry about the date it was 21st March.
Hello, TNG42,

now we are talking - that flight shows a delay of 324 minutes on all flightplan systems, ACARS and radar track. But unfortunately I have no knowledge of the incident or what the reason was.

Like others said, I very much doubt however, that the crew had already begun rotation when they rejected the takeoff. At that point, the airplane would no longer be able to stop before the end of the runway.

The reject certainly did occur at a point before or latest at decision speed (V1), otherwise it is an unconditional liftoff.

I don't know, what gave you the impression, that the airplane's nose had already started to raise, but I am pretty sure, that you noticed a rotation downwards as the brakes (on the main gear) were applied. As a result, the airplane would go onto it's "knees", resulting in a very noticeable downwards movements of the nose especially for those sitting before the trailing edge of the wings. This might give the impression as if the nose was already airborne and came down on ground again, when in fact it doesn't.

The bangs suggest something like a compressor stall, certainly a reason to reject takeoff. A compressor stall may be caused by a lot of reasons, one possible (without any claim it was the case at your flight) for example being a gust of wind causing a (rare) disruption of airflow at the inlet of the engine.

Servus, Simon