PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PC Flight simulators - how good?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2008, 02:48
Pureteenlard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC Flight simulators - how good?

I have a nemesis. An annoying chap who has been there and done everything - I'm sure you've all come across the type. Anyway, he seems to think that a one or two PC flight simulators are genuinely good representations of reality. I think they may be fun but anyone who thinks that they represent reality in any meaningful way is a complete chopper. Anyway, here's his last statement. Any comments will be gratefully received;
MSCFS3, Falcon? I do not know about the other two, but Falcon and MSCFS3 are widely recognised by the real USAF and US Army pilots that I know as very good simulations of the subject matter! Major Dan S., F-15 Instructor Pilot and systems trainer to His Majesties Air Force of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, likes both Falcon and MSCFS! As are the rest of our MT-6, Taif, KSA, Friday afternoon flight sim gamers. That is 16-19 profesional pilots who are at the top of their professional heap who all think that the sims are a reasonable substitute for the Goodyear Aerospace simulator dome!
The above claim seems unlikely in the extreme to me but I'm sure you gentlemen will put me straight if I am wrong . . .

NB MSCFS3 = Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3