PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B727 drivers please
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2008, 00:29
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somebody mentioned earlier about a 3 to 1 descent. For a straight in landing at max landing weight and little wind I have been doing close to that but if we are empty I take off 10 miles and then another 10 miles for each 50 knots of headwind at altitude with consideration for what kind of wind to expect below 10,000 feet.

I don't have a huge amount of crosswind experience but it seems to be a bit of a handful when empty. Very responsive in roll at this point as you have all four ailerons operating and spoilers as well. I was told to use the wing down method because if I misjudged the crab method it could put the aircraft in a situation wher the captain could not recover for landing. Remember to add some power when transitioning to a wing down-opposite rudder attitude. At higher x-winds, I think a combination may be necessary. I am sure others have different opinions. 100 apparently can handle more crosswind.

Try not to have too much wing down at touchdown as you can get a wingscrape, on the flaps I believe. Minimize flare as the greater the flare, the less wing down necessary for a scrape. 7° roll at 7° nose-up with a firm landing will give a wing scrape I am told.

Into wind aileron is used for takeoff and held throughout the rotation. Seems a bit odd as now you have spoilers partially extended during liftoff.