PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bulldogs
Thread: Bulldogs
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2001, 16:58
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mfds, BEagle will probably be along in a bit with a much better informed answer than I could give, but in the meantime search the instructors and military fora for Bulldog/spinning threads, as the spin characteristics of the aircraft have been discussed there a few times. There were some incidents with Bulldogs going high rotational and not recovering, some of which had amusing endings (eg the "Bulldog cabriolet" story about the instructor flying back to base minus canopy and student after the canopy jettison and/or student jumping out had recovered the spin), others with consequences that were not funny.

As for the Pups, you should not intentionally spin a Pup 150 unless it has spin weights fitted. Recovery is conventional. The Pup 100 is OK to spin if you can get coax it to climb high enough before your licence comes up for a biennial.

BEagle probably has a point about the distinction between the ex RAF aircaft and other ones. I assume that Old Sarum makes a living renting its Bulldogs, but believe that they are ex-Botswana. The Skysport Bulldog is also operated, successfully I believe, as a club rental. It formerly led an fairly easy life in Hong Kong and is a relatively unfatigued airframe.

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: FNG ]