PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Crew a Good Career Choice?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2008, 13:32
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kip, well done for doing some research and finding & adding to this thread.

Flying with a degree.
In our mob (large European lecagy carrier) we have many people with a Uni degree. Friend of mine works 50% as an FA and 50% as an ER doctor. She loves both with a passion.
The job of an FA is very much what you make of it, and suitable for both those who 'just want tohave a lark' and those who wish to put their mind to it and have a career. A career being going through the grades and becoming a Flight Services Director/CSD/Senior Purser. Meaning 'boss' of a cabin crew onboard a wide body aircraft, responsible for the smooth & safe running of the cabin and all that entails, always with the Captain as the final authority of everything tht happens on the aircraft. A career like that is easier to find with a legacy carrier like BA, Air France, Lufthansa and SAS than with charter airlines or Virgin. Again, broadly speaking.

Cabin crew diploma course.
Like easynick I do not know anybody in our outfit who has come from such a course. I would rather use my time to find out what kind of experience your airline(s) of choice are looking for, and finding out what type of interview techniques they use. Think of things like role play, criteria based interviewing, group sessions & dynamics etc etc.
There is an enormous amount you can do to prepare for succes if you are willing to devote the time to it and have the brains (you obviously do ) to process the information and make and follow a plan of action.

Do let us know how you get on.