PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landings
Thread: Landings
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2001, 13:35
Final 3 Greens

Wink

Evo

Stick at it mate; although I was safe at the end of my PPL, it took me another 50 hours or so to get really comfortable with landings.

Recently, I've bought a share in a different type to the one I fly regularly and guess what? - safe, but not comfortable as the picture over the nose is different - but it will come with a few more circuits.

A pilot much more experienced than me once summed it up by saying "I can tell you how to land, but I can't teach you to do it - you've got to learn that your self."

I think that the thing that was hardest for me to do was to learn to look at the end of the runway and more importantly, to time when to do it.

These days, I start to look at the end when I have the field made and the feelng I get is of the world going from 2d to 3d as my peripheral vision takes in all the surrounding clues - I am really sorry that I can't explain it better than this.

After focussing on the end, the aeroplane seems to "sink" into the picture and I just know when to hold off - it very natural.

Ability to land grows with confidence and the Warrior is a lovely lander - so stick at it and try to relax - it will come, I promise.

[ 06 August 2001: Message edited by: Final 3 Greens ]