PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding costs, time etc
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2001, 19:24
Skylark4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiger Moth,
Gliding Clubs vary from the entirely member operated, weekend only, winch launch sites like my own, Oxford gliding club to the professionally staffed, full time aero tow only sites like Booker. There are all shades in between.
Oxford Gliding Club operates at Weston on the Green airfield, winch launch only, weekends and bank holidays only plus two weeks in August when the Parachutists are not operating, this year from 20 Aug..
Annual membership is £140, launches are £4 and a/c hire is 20p. per minute. The fleet consists of 1 X DG 505 High performance two seater for advanced training, 2 X K13 for ab initio training, 2 X K8 for early solo flying and 2 X Astir for more advanced solo work. We also have a T21 Sedberg two seater for fun. Most people get into a syndicate after a couple of years or so but that is a personal choice. Unless you fly a lot, it`s an expensive way to Glide but you don`t have to wait for an aircraft.
I recommend winch launching as the way to learn properly as you do a lot of circuits and landings and practice makes perfect. You cannot `go around`in a glider. You can get to solo quicker with aerotows but you do not have the solid background of lots of practice and lots of chat between flights. The disadvantages of the system are that you generally need to put in a full day to get in maybe half a dozen launches and it could be less.
We have a good winch and a large field. Launches are rarely below 1400`, often more. A K13 training flight, without soaring, will generally last 6-8 minutes. If conditions are soarable this will always be attempted and the flight will last 20-30 minutes. Soaring is the whole essence of gliding so that is taught whenever possible. Continuity of training is important, one day every six weeks and it will take for ever. Every weekend for six weeks and you`ll be solo. Something in between is best. Most ab initios will solo somewhere between 50 and 100 launches. It can be a good idea to do your training in the winter. There will not be so many people to fly, so your turn will come around quicker and the days are shorter so you wont find yourself packing the hangar at 10 p.m..
`Trial lessons` are expensive at £25, a `mini course` of three flights is better value.
I think that`s all your queries covered as far as I can cover them, perhaps someone from another Club can quote their costs and give a different perspective.

Regards,

Mike W