PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding costs, time etc
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2001, 18:49
Rusty Cessna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

TM,

I'm by no means a glider pilot (unfortunately) but I have been investigating it for quite a while now. This is what Ihave been told.

To answer your questions in order:
1)A winch launch is exactly what is says, imagine the winch off a Search and Rescue helicopter, I assume its practically the same, although probably more robust, a little bit more powerful and longer cable length, I think average launch is £5.

2)Cost, no idea, extra advantage, with a winch you are limited to how long that winch is, and if it puts you in the fluffy white stuff that aint good, and Aerotow lets you gain as much height as the pilot will give you and avoid a few airborne nasties.
What justifies its extra cost? Its an aeroplane, it uses fuel, so costs more, naturally.

3)Think the average length for a winch is 1000-3000 feet, I believe, how high will you go with an aerotow? well, how longs a piece of string I suppose? But I assume it is dependent on weather conditions and how high the tow aircraft wants to go to.

4)There is no average what so ever, its all what the weather is doing, if you find stable air that isn't going up, not so long, but if you find nice unstable air isn't resisting vertical movement, or thermals, orographic lifting currents or even street clouds, your time aloft can be quite long. But this is totally dependent on how the weather is behaving, and to a degree your ability to get the aircraft to those precious pieces or air (apologies if my met is poor).

5)Costs, well from what I have seen its around a fiver for a winch tow at most places and then around 20-50p per minute, but I believe if you help out around the club enough you may get certain discounts, although I don't know.

6)Again, how long is a piece of string, and how much does it cost?

As I say this is just what I have been told from a variety of sources, apologies if my met stuff is wrong, or if any other info is incorrect. Please put me right!

Hope it helps,
Rusty

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: Rusty Cessna ]

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: Rusty Cessna ]