PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How far next ?
Thread: How far next ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2001, 16:23
Whirlybird

There'a a balance here. When I got my PPL(A) I was determined to do a lot before winter set in (it was October), and I didn't want to be like those people I'd seen who never did more than potter around my local area. Result - wihin weeks I flew myself into cloud over Snowdonia and only just managed to get out, then got lost in marginial vis three miles from Birmingham Airport (OK, you've all heard about that one). That didn't do a lot for my confidence! I think the answer is to stretch yourself, but gently. If you live in the south then a channel crossing is fine, but do it in good weather; from further north it's a major expedition. Try flying with other people of about your standard - less workload, less money, more fun. Bear in mind that what is well within your limits on a nice day may mean you're overloaded if you're dodging showers, in strong winds, and coping with ATC's instructions, all at the same time. So go for it, but not too much. And be prepared to change your mind about any flight at any time if it becomes necessary.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.